A person whom I admire...

on Monday, March 24, 2008

Very rarely will you have me commenting too much on cricket here.
While it's a national passion, almost a religion...I have a love/hate relationship with it.
I enjoy the game but can't really sit through an entire game in any of its myriad forms.
Previously, India's cricketing performances depended on one or two people. If they messed up, you knew what to expect.

However, the recent Indian team has been a breath of fresh air. If I am to be honest, I've started putting more faith in these guys since about 2003 onwards with the World Cup (mostly) and the NatWest series final showing that the people were looking to be counted.
This was around the time when I started switching back to the match even if three or four wickets had been lost.
(And yes...cricket is bearable for me because of the option to switch the channels or just turn the box off. Were I watching an abysmal Indian performance live, I'd probably tear some hair and hearts out...)

Though, as we come to the more recent past, in the last two years or so...there's a person called Mahendra Singh Dhoni whom I've come to admire. He is a real smart person. Current captain of the ODI and T20 teams, he's destined for greatness. Unless someone wants to argue that he's already great.

I just read an interview of his that I'm pasting below and the kind of answers he's given exemplifies why I admire him.
A person who has no airs, yet shoots from the hips and is ready to call a spade a spade and be called one as well.

Were I still a school student, and were I asked to write an essay on "A person whom I admire", I'd probably write about this fella.

Read on!

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/343750.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment