The small joys in life...part II

on Sunday, March 23, 2008

The last 48 hours have been interspersed with little moments of joy that I'd really like to share...


Two days ago, I'd spent all day (Friday) at home and was feeling stuffy...so I decided to go out for a ride and say hello to a mate of mine who lives behind the school.
It was about 6.45p and well...you know how a lot of people give a sepia tint to pictures that they click on their digicams...
Some people have a sepia fetish. It does look classy to a certain extent but if someone overdoes it...then I feel icky. I mean...c'mon! It's YELLOW! Makes me wonder if I have jaundice after a while.
Well, the point is....nature probably shares my opinion for from between 6.45p and 6.55p on Friday, everything was tinted the most wonderful shade of yellow. It was not sepia, it was not yellow. It wasn't even gold. It was like liquid gold...just brilliant and just for enough time, before it stops being beautiful and starts becoming strange...eventually the shadows darkened and took over.
But yeah...everything in moderation is a lesson we learn from nature.
If EVERYTHING was meant to be yellow all the time...we wouldn't have had clear light...

(On a side note, this is also why I detest rooms which are only lit by yellow bulbs. It's ok if they are amber but after a while I get uncomfortable and I prefer the white fluorescence. Is it just me? At least I'm consistent.)

That evening, as I visited my friend, I put in a phone call to another friend of mine. We hadn't talked in a couple years. Different circles, different interests etc. Apparently she was in a class and did not answer the call. However, she DID call back later in the evening and we ended up talking for over an hour.
We were never the greatest of friends in school. In fact, I remember taking her case up quite often as she refused to use her hair band and the stuck up stickler for discipline that I was...I used to give her stick for it.
However, she's always been an interesting person and the phone call was no less so. Of all the 96 people in my year, nly two got into proper medicine and she's one of them. So it was quite interesting listening to what she had to say about her experiences.
We eventually decided to catch up at some point of time, along with the other friend studying medicine.
Let's see...hope it happens soon.
The call terminated cuz my phone battery died. That was probably a signal for me to shut up but at least that leaves something for us to discuss when we DO meet up... *grin*

So...after a nice evening, I went to sleep and happened to surface from slumber at about 6.30a...to the sound of rain.
Friday was the festival of Holi and traditionally, it's supposed to rain (Don't ask me, ask tradition) the next day and this year...the rain kept its obligations. There's nothing more beautiful to me than the sound of rain pattering on corrugated tin...I was not awake but I wandered about the house to an open window and just listened to the sound for five minutes and smelt the dampness of the earth and then went back to bed. *sigh*

Later in the evening....a THUNDERSTORM! Thunderstorms rock my sox! so yay!

Life is good.

(I suppose the lack of posts also reflects that. Not too much time given to philosophising. So I'm probably engaged in better [though not necessarily more productive] pursuits.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment